Goals in the New Year
January 2017 Goals
Review of last month:
- Completed the Bioinformatics class project; check out my repo here: Bioinformatics project results
- Spent a full week in the lab with Yaamini, getting the DNR geoduck samples prepped for protein analysis on Mass Spec.
- Successfully completed my first quarter as a grad student
- Steven helped to get O. lurida animals in the water at Manchester with 2 temperature treatments.
- Geoduck DNR:
- Prepare histogram of m/z for geoduck proteins (from previous samples) to identify appropriate window of peptide m/z
- Need to order piptide standards(?) for mass spec time? Confirm with Emma.
- Run DNR geoduck samples through Mass Spec (scheduled January 17-25)
- Prepare a plan of attack to analyze geoduck proteomics data
- Oly temp/OA project @ Manchester
- Take a trip to Manchester to catalogue the animals
- Sample at the end of the temperature treatment(?) - depending on # of animals
- Start recording project metadata and other important data (e.g. collect temp data when possible, algae diet, interesting events, etc.)
- Prep for Pub-a-thon 2017:
- What do I write about?
- Play with platforms that are up for consideration.
- Read papers!
- Consider migrating paper organization from Evernote to Paperpile, Zotero, or Mendeley
- Re-examine my SAFS plan
- When should I shoot to have my committee assembled? Who?
- Should the proposal writing class OR the pub-a-thon be leveraged to help prepare my thesis project plan?
- Apply for things:
- Friday Harbor summer term course @ associated scholarships
- UW/SAFS travel grants for Knoxville
- What else? …
Written on January 3, 2017